- This event has passed.
Youth Mental Health First Aid Training Course
January 5 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pmFree
Youth Mental Health First Aid is an evidence-based training that teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders in youth. This training gives adults who work with youth the skills they need to reach out and provide initial support to children and adolescents (ages 6-18) who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care.
First Aiders will complete a 2-hour, self-paced online course, and then participate in a 5.5 to 6-hour, Instructor-led video conference.
The Youth Mental Health First Aid course focuses on recognizing the patterns of thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and appearance that show there might be a challenge rather than on a specific disorder. You will learn an action plan for non-crisis and crisis scenarios. By the end of the course, you will be able to:
• Describe the purpose of Youth Mental Health First Aid and the role of the First Aider.
• Recognize the signs and symptoms of mental health challenges that may impact youth.
• Explain the impact of traumatic experiences and the role of resilience on adolescent development.
• Apply the appropriate steps of the YMHFA Action Plan (ALGEE) to non-crisis situations.
• Apply the appropriate steps of the YMHFA Action Plan (ALGEE) to crisis situations.
• Choose appropriate methods for self-care following the application of Youth Mental Health First Aid in a
crisis or non-crisis situation.
Registration deadline 12/24/2021
Note: The events contained in this calendar are subject to change without notice by their respective organizers. Refer to each event's website for updates.