- This event has passed.
Suicidal Awareness, Response, Safety Planning, and Postvention Learning Series
January 25, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Responding to mental health crises and the risk of suicide in a school setting presents unique challenges and considerations for mental health practitioners, educators, and parents. Suicidal thoughts do not discriminate and can affect anyone. Suicide rates have been continuously rising since 2007 and are now ranked as the 10th leading cause of death in 2017 for all age ranges and ranked second among youth ages 10-24 (Ivey-Stephenson et al., 2020). During this free, three-part series, we will address suicide prevention awareness; school-appropriate response and screening referral practices for youth experiencing suicidal ideation and/or intent; postvention as well as supports and safety planning after the child returns to school.
Session 1 – January 25, 2022 – Suicidal Awareness in the School Setting
- Identify common risk and protective factors for youth at risk of suicide.
- Identify warning signs for youth at risk of suicide.
- Increase awareness of the myths and stigma behind suicide
Session 2 – February 1, 2022 – School-Appropriate Response and Screening Practices
- Learn how to have conversations about suicide and interact with a youth in crisis
- Learn practical screening tips
- Recognize levels of suicide ideation and risk
- Learn best responses to identified risk level
Session 3 – February 8, 2022 – School Supports, Safety Planning
- Learn basic components of safety planning using an interdisciplinary approach
- Learn best practices for postvention
Note: The events contained in this calendar are subject to change without notice by their respective organizers. Refer to each event's website for updates.